This morning – got up at 4, downstairs by 5, tea for breakfast at 5:30, to the Delhi train station by 6:30 (apparently went through all the magnificent parts of the city – but it was pitch black outside!), on board by 7:00 – and was right back in the Raj. We were in first class (Executive Car). Our personal attendant brought us each a newspaper (from a large selection), then came the tea – each with our own thermos of hot water, some cookies, cream and sugar. I thought that was it – but then came the cornflakes and HOT milk. I could not even THINK about swallowing that but Mark, sitting next to me, 25 and hungry, scarfed mine down as well as his. Then a bit later came the veggie patties and a roll. Later, more tea. Then mango juice. It was an old train – individual fans over each chair (not running – it is still cold here) BUT also had connections for charging your lap top or mobile!
Four hours later we were in Hardwar – one of the 7 sacred cities of Hinduism. A little overwhelming – but I suspect it will become familiar. The ashram bus was waiting and 15 minutes later we had crossed the Ganges River and drove through the Ashram gates. Flags welcomed us; the children were all lined up waving. They are happy to see us but disappointed that Babaji is not with us – still undergoing tests. They hope he will be able to join us within a few weeks.
The children – all 68 – utterly charming. Two boys hauled my suitcases up to my room. I am sharing it with Molly (we shared a room in Delhi) and that is when I had to face “giving up all ideas of any control in India”
Let’s see:
My room – like descriptions I have read in novels about India – high ceiling, ceiling fans, wooden screens with metal screening behind AND a bed with sheets, pillow and heavy blanket. I stared at them - why had I been asked to bring a sleeping bag? Then I thought about all the suitcase space devoted to sleeping bag, bed pad, pillow and sheets – grrrrr, what a waste.
Unpacked – and discovered that none of my adaptors will work – my lap top, iPod, and my one luxury – my electric tooth brush – can’t be recharged. Thought about all the suitcase space devoted to electronics and the fact that I can’t use any of them.
Then discovered that I can’t find the lock I brought for my door – must have gotten lost or tossed on the way over.
The little bedside clock I brought just for this trip – won’t work now (it worked in California) and the battery is unusual – did not bring extras.
All the food I brought – the oatmeal, chicken soup, tea – can’t heat it because the adapters don’t work.
So, in reflection – I brought much stuff I can’t use, threw out much stuff I could have used, lost stuff in transit and Indian women, of course, love to look beautiful, including the women at the Ashram, and I threw out my make-up!
This was a pivotal moment – I could either collapse in tears OR laugh and, as my friend Robin (who is my age, has MS, and has been in a nursing home for the last 11 years) says, “crying just makes you wet.” I submitted to India and all the gods around me and agreed that I was certainly getting a message – just GIVE IN. “Come to India and let India guide you.”
I collapsed in laughter.
Went downstairs, helped with setting up tea and THEN, to make sure that India knew I had to give in and submit, when all the children were gathered to get ready to sing, and the staff had entered, I crossed from the tea area to a chair, and in front of everyone, took a flying fall. Straight down on both knees (knees that were doing so much better in the last few weeks). Could I have been more embarrassed? The children gasped, two people came over to help me up – it is stunning how quickly you can get up when thoroughly embarrassed. I bowed to everyone and made a joke about ‘well, that was my show!” and decided to be an unembarrassed as I could.
The program was wonderful – singing and dancing. Afterwards, I went up the 3 flights to my room, took some pills, hobbled back down and within an hour had met 2 charming young girls who taught me how to count from 1-10 in Hindi, held a 4 month-old baby (the most recent orphan), met several staff, toured the immediate area of the Ashram, met 6 cows (I counted them out in Hindi). I was beaming by the time I came back to my room AND, when I tried one of the adapters again, it worked! I don’t think I can heat water – but I can use my computer and iPod. Things are looking quite a bit better.
It is very cold. I gave away my heavy blanket to a woman who didn’t bring a sleeping bag. Set up my bed with my own flannel sheet, my sleeping bag, my pillow and the bed pad – quite cosy. I am going to be asleep in minutes. It is very cold – I think it is around 45 degrees – no heat in the building - so look forward to my warm bed.
So, after one 14 hour flight, another 7 hour flight, a 4 hour train ride – I have made it to the Ashram. So, India, go ahead and guide me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh DP, it sounds just like you! All of it!! I love that India is your guide.
Remember how much more beautiful the women on Survivor look without any makeup!! :o)
We're all there with you. I think about you every day, and keep in "touch" with our connected bracelettes.
Love to you!
Mary
India is already changing you forever, as it does everyone who opens up to it. Enjoy every day of this great adventure! Love, Melinda
I just caught up with your journey. You're living in metaphors! Loved the baggage saga and your wild ride on the highway/zoo. I'm alreaqdy wondering who is going to play you in the BBC version of your blog.
I can't quite believe you schlepped an electric toothbrush half way around the world, but selfishly, I'm very glad your computer will continue to work, because I'm looking forward to your narratives.
Make-up, schmake-up. Mother Teresa did fine without eye liner.
Carry on, brave adventurer!
=bean
Wow Donna! I have just read all of your diary entries and am still smiling. What an awesome adventure so far, and you have only just begun. I am looking forward to a vicarious India journey through you. You are the quintessential writer and I can't wait to read your next entry. Savor every moment - and thanks to your blogspot, it will all be in black and white.
Fondly, Sandi (your WOL friend)
we had a lovely lunch with Steph and Dan on Sunday (Screen Door - yum!). other than that, you are having the most interesting time. look forward to more posts :)
Love,
Lynne
Donna, I can't believe that you're there, and with all the mishaps that you've maneuvered through. What wondrous experiences! As always, your flexibility and humor are terrific travel tools. Loved the narratives!!! Bonnie
Post a Comment