Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm in Taiwan - January 22

Well, don’t mess with China Air - they actually weigh your carry-on. VERY bad for me. Mine weighed 40 pounds; the maximum was 15. They told me to get rid of the excess. I moved away from the counter, opened my bag and started moving stuff into my purse, my little day-pack, and into my jacket pockets. I put my laptop in its case and added papers on top to make it look like a folder of papers - and went back. 23 pounds - not good enough. I threw out some food – good bye big bag of dried cranberries - and stuffed more into the purse and daypack. These now looked like sausages ready to burst. I hid these in front of the counter while I passed my carry-on over to the agent. MADE IT. She put a sticker on it. I took the carry-on around the corner and put all the stuff back in.

Went to security – they weighed it again! Not good. They asked if I had added stuff after the sticker was put on. What could I say? I confessed. I was sent back out – moved the excess back to purse and day pack, hung them both behind my back and went through – made it!

Now, the truly incredible step. I was in the first group called to get on the plane – and, you won’t believe it, they WEIGHED IT AGAIN. Now here’s the incredible part - they made each passenger step on a scale holding EVERYTHING - purse, carry-on, anything else in their arms - EVERYTHING. How can you tell how much the baggage weighs if the person is counted too? Now I am worried – NOT GOOD. And then the most wonderful thing happened. It has never been good to be overweight – never. But now it was. How could they tell what was me and what was the baggage? They shook their head, I stepped off the scale and they pointed to the carry-on – the lightest thing I had. I swear my jacket pockets weighed more than my carry-on. They weighed it – 15 pounds, and waved me on. I made it. I collapsed on my seat and just laughed.

The flight was great – 14 hours –but I slept most of the way. Leaving at midnight has its definite advantages. Truly – it felt more like crossing the country, not the world.

Thank you everyone involved in the final days – the phone calls, the dinner out with Lee and Celeste (fabulous Indian restaurant – to get me in the mood), visits with friends and family. I know I was anxious about going this far, for this long, not knowing anyone – not to worry. The woman I happened to stand behind in line (before the first weigh-in) was part of our group. We didn’t realize it until about 15 minutes into our conversation. Met 3 others before the flight, and met the rest once here. Great group - diverse and interesting. The youngest is 19 and several near my age. I am traveling with 12 others.

Now the big problem – tomorrow another China Air flight. Our group leader warned us they are even tighter. I got rid of some more stuff, am going to wear extra clothes, will hang my camera around my neck, pinning bags with more stuff inside my jacket – I will get through. Think good thoughts for me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes!

xxxoooxxx

Unknown said...

When you said you were going to bundle up with your extra cloths to carry more on the plane, all I could think about was HOT FLASHES. Hope you're safely in India now.

Unknown said...

I hope those Macaroons we made for you were either pinned to the inside of your jacket, or stuffed into you mouth! Good luck with the next China Air flight... did you remember to steal their forks for me?

aberry said...

Donna, don't get arested!

bcates said...

Congratulations on figuring out the system, you clever American!