We have a wonderful man, a dhobi, who arrives each morning and picks up any dirty clothes we have and gives us clean clothes from the day before. But modesty, modesty, modesty has been drummed into us - and the appropriateness of distance between men and women as well. So what do to with underwear that needs washing? Certainly I can’t give it to the dhobi. So, I figured out that when I finish a “shower” I dump the underwear into the remaining hot water, add some detergent, swirl it around, rinse it, and hang it to dry. No problem. Yes, problem. It is so cold in my room (the building is designed for defusing summer heat – no roof, holes in the walls for circulating drafts – and my room faces away from the sun) that the underwear simply does not dry – even the nylon underwear. After 4 days I, most unhappily, finally put on slightly damp underwear.
Now, here is the amazing thing. I bought a towel, face cloth and wash cloth from REI for this trip. They are small – and are made of a nylon-polyester mixture. They dry quickly. I can’t believe that something sopping wet is dry within a few hours. Clearly I need to find underwear made of the REI fabric. You might want to pass the info on to REI – a new market niche for them.
The other remarkable thing about the dhobi is how he returns the clothes. All the clothes I gave him yesterday – a pair of pants, a top and 6 pair of socks, are in a neat bundle, clothes within clothes. Each pair of socks is matched and 2 layers of 3 pairs lay across the shirt that is folded neatly on top of the pants, and the pants are folded neatly around the whole bundle. I don’t want to take it apart – I just stare at the art of it. I need a dhobi in Pacific Grove. We all need a dhobi. I bless our dhobi. I just wish I could figure out the underwear thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Omigod, Donna! After worrying since you left because I hadn't heard from you - thankfully, no plane crashes mentioned in the news - I finally had the flash of brilliance to check the blog. :) And what a blog it is! I alternately am bent over with laughter or dumbstruck by your astonishing adventures. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your amazing journey in such a vivid way. Love Emily
P.S. Soon you'll be known by dhobis far and near as the mysterious woman who wears no underwear...or always the same underwear. Either way, maybe you'd better send some out now and then. :)
Hi Donna,
Let Mother India be your guide free your underwear. She wouldn't want you to be dirty...Let it flap in the breeze like prayer flags or turn it inside out...
love
you
Patty
Ah, had I only paid my staff in biscuits years ago, perhaps they would have been happier!
I eagerly await the next installment and wish I had shared some of my Pakistan, China and Ecuador teaching adventures with you. I can see that India is indeed, teaching, leading, guiding you.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
bc
Donna, this blog is wonderful. I wish I could send you another Nancy Drew notebook and some REI material underwear! I'm sitting here in my pjs and robe with a bad cold reading student writing. I think I will read my students your 4 classroom rules --they could benefit from them, as could I. Stay well, my friend,
Lynne
How good to hear of your India adventures. I enjoyed your recount of your initial teaching experiences. No wonder my kids enjoyed you as a teacher.
I think you should consider Patty's underwear/prayer flag suggestion.
I look forward to your next blogs.
Marguerite
Post a Comment