Monday, January 28, 2008

The Ashram Schedule - January 28

Ashram Schedule January 28
I like Indian food – and it is truly wonderful here. The staff warns that we’ll get tired of it (and thinks the spice is at wimp level) and will sneak out to restaurants in neighboring towns when we need a change – and I believe them. But for now I am really enjoying it. Here is our schedule:

6:30 am – Chai or Ginger Tea (I usually sleep in – and I can now make my own tea in my room because we bought a little electric kettle in Haridwar)

10:00 am – breakfast – rice, chappatis (fresh off the stove), dal and 2 types of veggie curries – some more spicy than others. Also the best fresh yogurt I have ever tasted. It is made here at the Ashram from the milk of the Ashram’s cows. The texture is amazing. Then, at a side table, are sliced fresh veggies - cucumbers, radish, tomatoes and carrots. The carrots are bright red and are delicious. Also a bowl of bananas. Then there is the bowl with the lethal chiles and limes. I thought is was string beans and popped half of one into my mouth and chewed for maybe 3 seconds before the heat hit me. Remember cartoons when the smoke comes out of both ears of whatever character had eaten something hot? That was me. I knew that drinking water would make it worse – but, oh my goodness, it was HOT. I steer clear of that now. Nirmala insists it is great if you take a teeny weenie bite with the veggies and rice. I will wait a bit before I give it another try.

3:30 – Tea – Chai or Ginger Tea with some fruit and 1 or 2 small cookies. This is the only “meal” we eat with the children. They must attend and be on good behavior – play time is right after.

6:00 pm – dinner – basically a repeat of the breakfast menu – but different veggie dishes and, unfortunately, no yogurt.

Bed by 9 pm – we can stay up as late as we want but there should be quiet from that point on. Quite frankly, it is so cold that by 8 I have zipped up my jacket and crawled into my sleeping bag, am reading (one book was in my big suitcase so did not get thrown out - and there is a library here when I finish it – thank goodness!) and waiting to warm up. By 9 I am asleep. Oh so different from Pacific Grove where I was up until 1 or 2 am each night.

No comments: