I have a new roommate. I was a little disappointed in that I liked having the room to myself for the 10 days or so that I had it – but I like Betsy. Incredibly, she is also a chef on Victoria Island – how likely is it that both roommates have the same job in the same location? She is in her 40s, slim, a yoga devotee. She is also into cleanliness. While I was gone today she completely cleaned the whole room – even the floor. The cement floor has been the bane of my existence – it always feels gritty. I forgot to bring flip flops (and just realized I can buy them here – duh – so next trip to town will do so) and hate leaving the “shower” with clean feet to only have my them be dirty from just walking the few feet to the bed. I will encourage her cleanliness! Actually, I have hated the lack of cleaning products to clean the sink (we have toilet cleaner and a brush) and mirrors so welcome her idea of buying some in town. She had to do all of today’s cleaning with just hot water. Not great.
She is friendly, open, wants to share her ideas. She encouraged me to meditate up on the roof this morning when the yoga class was going on – and then stretch with them. And, for the first time, I was able to actually meditate! It was lovely on the roof (just one flight up from our room on the 3rd floor). The noise from the road didn’t bother me; the yoga instructions were soft background noise; the wind was gentle and lovely. I actually meditated for about 30 minutes – yeah! Afterwards, I did my own stretching exercises instead of the yoga ones – I know how to address the needs of my knees. They do NOT get better – that spectacular fall my first day at the Ashram has certainly affected my trip. I am nervous about walking on uneven ground – which is everywhere in India – so it limits where I go. I am glad I have an April 1 appointment to start the process of dealing with these knees.
I hadn’t told you that Spring has finally arrived in Northern India after the coldest winter in 30 years (and I believe it!). It is beautifully warm. Not hot, just warm. I know that HOT is coming – but for right now it is absolutely lovely – with one exception – the dust. Because it hasn’t rained since we have been here (well, woke up one morning and the balcony was damp – but didn’t see any rain fall) the dirt is DRY so any wind picks it up and blows it around. Because it is finally warm we keep the back door to the balcony open whenever we are in the room – it brings in both sunlight and warmth– but also brings in the dust. What to do – enjoy the sun or keep out the dust? Our decision - close the balcony door when we are not in the room, open it when we are inside.
And our shower definitely works!!! We were told to keep the heater on 24/7 – and sure enough, the water is HOT. Oh rapturous joy to stand beneath the shower and get hot water. I love my shower at home – but this is pretty darn wonderful after the bucket and pitcher routine. I sense the envy of others. I didn’t realize that our floor is the “luxury” floor – when you have cement floors, hard beds, etc, it doesn’t seem luxurious but everything is relative. Luxury here means a western toilet and a shower.
So, spring is here and so is Betsy and I am content.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Donna, I'm so glad you finally meditated with the gentle breeze. Your vivid writing makes India come alive for me. Though I hustle through the teaching days, when I enter your blog, I feel I'm traveling, and forget for a bit just where I am.
Welcome, Betsy, and welcome, less grit!
Your cuz, Bonnie
Post a Comment