Thursday, February 7, 2008

Electricity - February 8

Since becoming an adult I have lived in 5 communities in 2 states – and of all of them I lose electricity most frequently in Pacific Grove. My house is right near a power line that goes down with some regularity. If I have been out of the house when it happens, I know the outage occurred when I walk in the kitchen and the digital readout on the stove clock is flashing to tell me ADJUST THE TIME. I bet my electricity goes out – often for only a minute - several times a month in PG.

Well, that is nothing to what happens in India. This one morning the electricity went out 3 times – twice for about 30 minutes, once for less than 10. Rashmi didn’t miss a word in her “instructions about the wedding” meeting – just kept right on going.

You know who DOES feel it? The person on the computer. The computer room is right down the hall from me – and I hear the cry of anguish when the lights flicker off and the person who was in the midst of reading an email – or worse, near the end of a long response, gets interrupted by the failure. They have to start all over once the electricity returns. Painful!

Well, I guess I feel some of the anguish. I just heard one colleague call out that she would use the computer after Mark – and I jumped up quite quickly to yell down, “No, I’m signed up for that time slot.” All was resolved amicably – but don’t mess with our computer time! Let’s hope the electricity stays on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love each and every one of you blogs and can't wait for the next.
Patty