No, I am not teaching the students to revolt – rather the earth’s movements. I decided to try something different and taught the Ashram 5th and 6th graders (there are 8 of them) how to do the presentation with me in each of their classes. One was the sun and used my flashlight (excuse me, torch) to represent the sun. The others held the globe at its position on March 21, June 21, September 22 and December 23 (the solstices and the equinoxes) while the “sun” shone the flashlight on the appropriate line – Tropic of Cancer, equator or Tropic of Capricorn. We practiced several times during the study session. I taught the Ashram 6th graders first then they taught their 5th grade brothers and sisters.
So, I was ready this morning – had the globe, my “torch,” India is labeled on the globe with a post-it note, etc. The room’s inherent darkness was good – the torch would show up even better. What I forgot is that this is the morning of the first “bath” of the bride so the Ashram girls were all called away to participate – there went the summer and winter solstices! I shrugged my shoulders at the boys – had to make a quick change and I ended up doing it myself. I couldn’t think fast enough to make the necessary adjustments.
When class was over I went to the Ashram to participate in the last few minutes of the “bath”. She was “bathed” with spices on her legs and arms – tumeric and mustard. Then prayers were said. By the time I came in it was mostly over – but got to see her in the spices and witness all the dancing. All her “sisters” were there – Bollywood music came on and there was much joyous dancing. It was really fun.
Went back to teach 6th grade – and this time the girls were present so we got to do “Rotation and Revolution” as planned – and the boy who was the “sun” had much fun with the torch – you know, INADVERTENLY shining it in a friend’s face?
Much fun and I think they got it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment