Monday, March 31, 2008

I am HOME! March 29

Yes, I am home. I am in my very beloved Pacific Grove, at my own computer (not the one I dragged to India) working with technology that is so rapid after India that it seems absolutely amazing to me. I just push "enter" and ZIP, the web site I want is instantly in front of me. AMAZING.

I arrived Thursday evening (well, my second Thursday, given the International Dateline - it is so odd to arrive 5 hours before I left Taiwan!). While I waited for Candy to pick me up I listened to the traffic cop at the airport harangue drivers and pedestrians ("move it," "you can't stop there," "do you want to cross to the taxi zone or NOT?"). It was all music to my ears. Traffic cops actually intervening to make traffic move! What an incredible concept. I just watched and listened in delight.

I spent the night at Candy's. What a sister! To make me feel comfortable in my return to the US she had a bucket and pitcher waiting for me in her bathroom. Yep, I had a choice - a regular shower or a shower a la India. Oh, I was tempted but I chose the shower and it was LOVELY. Such a strong stream of water and it was HOT. The soap lathered up ever so nicely. The towel was big (mine in India was 15 by 20 inches). I am BAAACCCCKKKKK!

The drive home the next day was a little surreal. No cows were wandering by, no monkeys chittering in the trees, cars stayed in their lanes, and there were so few cars compared to a similar drive in India. No push carts, no water buffalo, no rickshaws, no vikrams. Granted, I was driving south at noon but I kept thinking, "California has built too many highways - we don't need this many lanes." Yeah, right.

I stopped at the MS office to pick up my tax stuff and a big "Welcome, Dough-na Didi" sign was waiting. It was good to see everyone. Then home, blessed home. The house looked so beautiful, colorful, clean. Thank you, Francia. What a joy it is to share my house with you.

I am on a normal sleep schedule (I didn't sleep on the way home from Taiwan so I could go to sleep when I got to Candy's) and that worked. But I am still a little disoriented - it still doesn't come easy to string several thoughts together. And I keep wondering what is happening at the Ashram. How did the children do in their final exams? Did the 10th and 12th graders pass their very significant national exams? How did the visit with the American Ambassador go? He and his family (and his food taster - can you believe it? He actually has one!) were to arrive 2 days after we left. His daughter was bringing all the shoes she has collected in her own personal effort to help the children. Did her stash of shoes include the sandals that so many of the children needed? How are the Ashram cows? Any new elephant attacks?

I suspect India will be in my mind for a while and in my heart forever.

So, I am home. I had an incredible, amazing experience that I would not have missed for anything AND I am very glad to be home. 10 weeks was a long time in some ways, although in other ways it just seems like yesterday that I was (rightfully) worried about how I would fit everything into my suitcase.

By the way, it is expensive to replace all of your make-up at once. I threw out everything on my way to India - brushes as well as the cosmetics. Oh well, good for the local economy!

Much love to you all and thank you, again, for all your support. You made my adventure a little easier.

1 comment:

Bill George said...

Seems like it was just yesterday. Nice seeing you at the wedding last weekend, Donna.