Staying in Touch with the World
I have never gone so long without knowing what is happening in the world. My only source of news is the bullets that appear in the news section of the Yahoo home page. I can’t download any of the accompanying stories – would take too long – so I just know the bullets. What do I, therefore, know about life in the US in the past 7 weeks? Well, I know that Brittney Spears has been having more problems (could have predicted that), know the stock market is not doing well, know the Academy Awards had a low audience share but don’t know any of the winners, know that Obama is doing well and that Bill Clinton did something that hurt Hillary’s campaign – said something, whatever – but don’t know what he said. I know that there have been more shootings in a mall and a school, I think, but only know that some people died. I read the fascinating bullet that the Queen was tense during the photo shoot with Annie Libowitz because Annie asked her to remove the crown – what was THAT about? I know that Obama was accused of copying from someone– but don’t know what he copied.
The India Times, which I scan when someone leaves a copy, understandably focuses on India. Actually, the stories are often fascinating (the legislature is working on a law to move DOWN the age of consent to marry for boys from 21 to 18 and move it UP for girls to age 16. Any girl who married before that age would have the right to end the marriage. Who knows if that will ever come to pass or actually be implemented?
I love reading the Bride and Groom ads – truly amazing. They identify exactly what they are looking for – appearance, height, weight (they ALL say “slim”) skin color, caste (sometimes), jobs, education. I know NONE of the personalities that are referred to in the “Goings On of the Rich and Famous” stories – I think they are all Bollywood stars. But, in that case, I feel right at home. When I read a People Magazine these days I know less than 1/3 of the people mentioned.
Someone, please respond to this blog and tell me anything else interesting that I have missed – I know I should care more about the BIG things but would like to know who won the Academy Awards –picture and best and supporting actors/actresses and what was that about the Queen?????
By the way, March 4 is my sister, Candy's, birthday. It is a few hours shy of March 4 in India right now but I KNOW I will be the first to wish you happy birthday, Candy. You still have about 15 hours to wait in California. So, Happy Birthday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yeah, Donna, re: Ganges bathing. Good for you. You'll survive quite well, I am sure. It sounds to me as if you have moved to a different level re: the culture and I say "good for you". As you know, there are so many magnificent ways to life one's life and clearly you are discovering yet another one. Keep writing---truly the experiences enrich my and others' lives. bc
I'm really loving your blog. Just fascinating.
OK, you wanted news:
Oscar winners:
Best picture
“No Country for Old Men”
Best actress
Marion Cotillard, “La Vie en Rose”
Best actor
Daniel Day-Lewis, “There Will Be Blood”
Best supporting actress
Tilda Swinton, “Michael Clayton”
Best supporting actor
Javier Bardem, “No Country for Old Men”
Best director
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, “No Country for Old Men”
Best foreign film
“The Counterfeiters,” Austria
Adapted screenplay
Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, “No Country for Old Men”
Original screenplay
Diablo Cody, “Juno”
Animated feature film
“Ratatouille”
Art direction
“Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street”
Cinematography
“There Will Be Blood”
Sound mixing
“The Bourne Ultimatum”
Sound editing
“The Bourne Ultimatum”
Original score
“Atonement,” Dario Marianelli
Original song
“Falling Slowly” from “Once”
Costume
“Elizabeth: The Golden Age”
Documentary feature
“Taxi to the Dark Side”
Documentary short
“Freeheld”
Film editing
“The Bourne Ultimatum”
Makeup
“La Vie en Rose”
Animated short film
“Peter & the Wolf”
Ralph Nadar's announcement that he will run again has largely been met with derision and scorn.
Big primary contest tomorrow. I'm hoping Obama wins. He has charisma and leadership and the intelligence to surround himself with good people. Hillary is too bogged down in the mechanics, and doesn't have the hearts and minds of the populace. She's also too divisive to get Republicans on board with any agenda she would have. Oops, not news, OpEd piece.
Karl told Ann Berry that next year will be his last as principal.
Booney has pancreatic cancer and begins treatment soon, but it doesn't look good.
Linda Mowbrey just returned to school, much to the student's dismay. They liked Pat.
That's all I know. I'm don't dip into reality too often.
No world peace or cures for cancer yet, but if anything like that happens, I'll let you know. The rest probably isn't worth worrying about. Enjoy your ganges spa treatment and keep those posts coming.
Love,
bean
Now for the important news, thanks to People magazine's site:
"Queen Elizabeth II was not amused when celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz suggested she remove her crown for a portrait, a clip from a new BBC documentary reveals.
"In a trailer released Wednesday for the documentary A Year with the Queen, her majesty is shown entering a room in Buckingham Palace wearing her crown and regal Order of the Garter robes.
"As she navigates the camera equipment in the extravagant room, Leibovitz says, 'I think it will look better without the crown because the garter robe is so ...'
"'Less dressy? What do think this is?' the queen retorts. 'I'm not changing anything. I've had enough dressing like this, thank you very much.'
"The story caused a tongue-in-cheek furor in the UK, with tabloid headlines such as 'Throne a Wobbler' (The Sun) and 'One is Not Amused' (The Daily Mail).
"Although the queen's tart response is not in dispute, the BBC apologized Thursday for implying that she then walked out on the shoot. 'In this trailer there is a sequence that implies that the Queen left a sitting prematurely,' the BBC said in a statement.
"'This was not the case and the actual sequence of events was misrepresented. The BBC would like to apologize to both the Queen and Annie Leibovitz for any upset this may have caused."
Now you can dip into the Ganges with all important knowledge :)
Love,
Lynne (K)
Well, Donna--On Feb 18, Hillary's aide, Howard Wolfson, accused Barack of plagiarizing from someone who turned out to be MY Governor, Deval Patrick, who evidently GAVE the langauge to Barack. Geez. From Politico.com, and I quote,
"The Massachusetts governor said in a statement: “Sen. Obama and I are longtime friends and allies. We often share ideas about politics, policy and language. The argument in question, on the value of words in the public square, is one about which he and I have spoken frequently before. Given the recent attacks from Sen. Clinton, I applaud him [for] responding in just the way he did.”
The Obama campaign immediately struck back with a document headlined: "Here are a couple of places Clinton freely borrowed rhetoric from Obama."
Among the examples are Clinton's use of Obama's signature chant "fired up and ready to go" in Davenport, Iowa, and later her echoing of his rally cry, "Yes, we can!"
Today, maybe, the decisive round of primaries and cacauses, from giant Texas to Little Rhody.
--Lynne Viti
ooo ooo ooo I forgot to write this before. That episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations in Rajastan has a brief scene where some men are playing Kabaddi!
Love,
Lynne (K)
the one who doesn't vote in a primary for a few more months
Post a Comment