Well, the night before the last day started in a most interesting manner. I had trouble getting to sleep last night (common problem here in India – could it be a side effect of the malaria medicine? If so, I’d rather have sleeplessness than malaria!). Got up to go to the bathroom and suddenly there was a small explosion in the little water heater on the wall above the toilet. Sparks started falling around my feet and tendrils of smoke wafted up to the ceiling. Never in my life have I gotten off a toilet so quickly! I leapt up and turned off the water heater and then quickly thought – what next? Do I run out on the balcony and yell, “FIRE, well, maybe not fire, but SMOKE AND SPARKS?” Or do I grab my purse and get out– after all everything is cement so only my stuff will burn? Or do I just watch and wait? I took the third option. The smoke gradually disappeared, the sparks stopped and I started breathing again.
One good thing, though - once I calmed down and laughed about this crazy room’s electrical system (the fans and water heater/shower work intermittently) I feel asleep. This morning, I knew the shower wouldn’t have hot water so went downstairs. How ironic that my last shower would be right back to the old bucket and pitcher routine – and then discovered that all the hot water was gone. 7 am is a popular shower time. Okay, cold water it is. Amusing, however. After surviving the bucket/pitcher showers in the freezing cold weather and luxuriating in the relative wonderfulness of the trickle of hot water that came out of my shower when it worked, my very last shower was a cold one on a cool morning. If it were 2 in the afternoon when it is really hot it might be more pleasurable – but, hey, once again, go to India and submit. You have no control over anything. This made it very clear to me that I will not bother with another cold shower tomorrow morning when I get up at 4:45 for our early train. I’ll wait and take a shower when I get to Delhi.
Went to have my last breakfast and the last yogurt - something was wrong with the yogurt – really salty and sour. Okay, submit. At least I have a memory of how wonderful it usually is. To balance this disappointment one of the veggie dishes was my second favorite (after the eggplant) – pumpkin. So good!
Came upstairs and finished most of the packing. I gave away my bed pad to a man who comes here every year. Gave the flannel sheet (the dhobi washed it) to Swapna to use next winter on the big king-size infant Indian bed when it is cold. Left some office supplies, toiletries, etc for the Ashram’s use. Threw out some clothes that I never want to wear again – and everything fits into the suitcase! No worry this time about the big suitcase bursting open in mid-flight from how tightly it is packed.
The morning was actually very quiet. Most of the “Americans” were busy packing up and the children were involved in final practices of their play and dances for this afternoon’s performance. Most of the visitors are leaving tomorrow with Babaji although a handful will remain. That’s good for the children – hard it if were no guests left to interact with them.
The birthday party was lots of fun. It was supposed to start at 2 so I went out at 1:55 – very few people were there. Silly me – it was Indian time! It started a little after 3. The children prepared many acts – one child sang, another recited a poem in English (a 5 year old), lots of dances – both traditional and modern (a la Bollywood) and a fashion show. That was probably my favorite – each of the performers picked out a favorite outfit and “walked the runway” strutting his or her stuff. Some pretended they had cell phones and were just oh so cool. The boys would pause and strike a GQ pose – just like my wonderful nephews do. I’ll download photos in Delhi.
Afterwards we had “tea” and I had my first ice cream in 10 weeks – oh so good. Butter pecan, rich and creamy (and loaded with calories I am sure). As I was taking the last bite I did wonder if the milk were pasteurized – oh, dear. It was not as wonderful as the raspberry truffle from See’s on Valentines Day but it was still REALLY good. You know how great ice cream is on a really hot day! That was it, I told myself, I would ignore all the other food because it was catered – not prepared by the Ashram – and I do NOT want to get sick. But I couldn’t resist the potato thing that people were raving about and it was GOOD. Imagine a ball of chunky mashed potatoes flattened and browned in hot oil then covered with kurds (thin yogurt), some salt, and 2 great sauces – one might have been cilantro and another brown one. REALLY GOOD. Oh, I hope I don’t get sick!
Babaji came inside along with guests who arrived for the day. They had a quieter celebration than what was going on out in the tent. I stayed outside to say goodbye to many of the staff who I won’t have a chance to speak with tomorrow morning in the rush of saying goodbye at 5:15 am. Everyone keeps asking me if I am coming back next year (the man to whom I gave the bed pad said “it’s yours Donna if you are back”) but I doubt it. Then again, who knows?
Dinner at 6 –no way was I hungry but enjoyed chatting with others as we had our last meal together. Turned in my trusty tin tray, cup and spoon – the final sign that I am out of here.
At 7:30 there were final prayers with Babaji – the same 5 lines of children, the same chant as on the day he arrived 5 weeks ago. I love ritual and this had it. The children presented him with fruits to represent the senses, marigold leis for around his neck, and incense. After the prayers ended each child came up and, once again, dropped some marigolds at his feet and then he gave each one a stick of candy! They were quite pleased – but very sad. The end is almost here.
So, off to bed. One of the buff boys dragged my big suitcase downstairs – so glad he did it for me! I t will be put on a truck for the hotel where everyone else is staying in Delhi. I’ll pick it up on Wednesday when I meet them at the hotel for the ride to the airport. I’ll take my small bag on the train to use while in Delhi.
Will write from Delhi to let you know how it all goes. It will be great. Yes, it will. I can handle the beggars – sure I can. No problem. All will be fine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment