Sunday, March 9, 2008

It’s Getting Hot – March 9

It’s turning into summer – at least by California standards – and is a heat wave by Pacific Grove standards! I would say that today is definitely hot – probably 80 degrees. There are some blessings – there is not a single drop of humidity and it still cools down at night. Apparently when the monsoons come in July and August the humidity climbs through the ceiling accompanied by incredible heat. At first I thought I would stay through April but am now glad I listened to the people at Mt Madonna who said, “Westerners have trouble with the heat starting in April.” I still have 2 more weeks here at the Ashram and then another 3 days in Delhi and Taipei – where it will be even hotter than here. Phew - I am getting out in time!

I am still using my sleeping bag at night – but only for an hour or so and then I end up tossing it on the floor – just too warm. How incredibly different from just a few weeks ago. And, of course, now I bless the fact that our building is probably 10 degrees cooler than outside – didn’t feel that way when we first got here – but now it is GOOD. Although the heat rises as I walk up to my 3rd story room, our room faces the east so it is cooler in the afternoon than bedrooms on the other side of the building. We now keep the back door open all the time to catch any breezes that wander our way (well, the screen door is in place).

Our shower didn’t work for a few days so back to the bucket routine – but again, when it is not freezing in your room, the shower is a much easier process AND just to keep you informed on the underwear drying time situation – now a matter of an hour or two when hung on the clothesline on the roof.

So, I am now experiencing what I have always associated with India – heat. However, to put it all in perspective, the children and some staff still appear in sweaters in the morning while I am already feeling the heat. Just goes to show you that when you live in India, today’s heat is still cool when compared to what is coming.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't wait for your return and your next visit to Oregon :)

Steph and Dan came over for dinner and a movie and a good time was had by all :) :)

killer work schedule - so this is about all I can do re. communications.

love,

Lynne (K)

Unknown said...

I thought of you yesterday, I cruised out to Salinas with the top down. The hills are green and the wildflowers are blooming.

Helen D.

Karen/Kenna said...

Enjoying your posts and the new pictures. It has also warmed up here but in the 70's not 80's like there. Can't believe you have been there over 6 weeks now. Lokk forward to getting together when you get back and hearing more stories. The people sound so warm and full of life.

I made a mistake on my earlier post. The campout is at Big Sur not Big Basin. We made a trip down last weekend to check out the sites we had cosen. They are close to the midway store we have camped near before. Weekend is till the end of August which goes into Labor Day.

Started watching Kenna this week-halfdays. Having good time. Karen just slips home to nurse when needed. Ideal for transition. If I were there in the ashram I would be slipping into the infant area regularly as all babies attract me. I can report Kenna's mangos are as adorable as they come and bathtime is a hit with her. Cousin Elaine

Barbara Cole said...

Have been given a "letter of invite" from one of the top biz schools in India (Delhi) to teach there w/in the next year. I would love to do it but I don't know if I can work it out given my other commitments.

Love reading the blog and seeing the photos. More, more!!!

Shelley said...

Hi Donna,
I haven't checked your blog for quite some time (so busy with that wonderful baby and all), but I've been thinking of you and your adventure in an ongoing way. I look forward to your return and hearing/seeing your experiences in person.
My trip to China is approaching, so I'm gearing up for that. I'm thinking I'll plan one of our 'tea parties' for after you and I both return, so keep me posted about your schedule. (Are you planning any away time before settling in at home?)
Again - the Ashram is lucky to have you and, by the sound of things, you are lucky to be taking it all in with your usual bright, humorous, open perspective. Guess that makes US lucky to have you sharing it, huh?
See you soon... Love, Shelley

Kathryn said...

I have almost as much trouble trying to post a comment as you do ... but nothing to blame it on but my own faulty memory! What's my account? What password did I use? etc!
I've really enjoyed reading about all your adventures. Your comments about seeing friends in new meetings really hit home... I keep seeing my sister and the Florida ashram in your comments, especially about the children. India may be a world away but some experiences are universal.
I've been thinking about you a lot as I try to remember something (anything) about geography, history, economics... Today I was trying to explain Nepal to a student and I kept coming up with things that I think were actually Tibet or Butan... sherpas, lamas, Shangri-la. Luckily, she will have forgotten by Monday.
I'm looking forward to hearing more when you get back!
Blessings, Kathryn Ryan